Thursday, June 24, 2010

Kahlua

  The last time I was at the liquor store I noticed how expensive Kahlua is and since the two ladies in my life like Kahlua and cream I thought I would try my hand at it. I was surprised how good it turned out.

Kahlua
4-5 c strong coffee
4 c sugar
1/4 c pure vanilla extract
1 fifth vodka
1/4 c whole coffee beans

  To make our coffee we used 3/4 c fine ground coffee beans and about 5 c near boiling water in a french press. Pour coffee into a sauce pan. Add sugar and vanilla extract. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 1 hour. Turn off heat and cool to room temperature. Combine coffee mixture and vodka in an appropriately sized container and shake well. Add whole coffee beans to the bottle. Makes about 1.5 liters. We used a 1.75 liter vodka bottle to store it in and it has a strainer cap on the top to prevent the beans from escaping. Many recipes call for 'aging' the mixture for 30 days and storing in a dark bottle. I don't think ours will last that long.

TTFN
B

No comments:

Post a Comment